Saturday, October 14, 2006

What's Funny About It?

An email from the Delightful LA Actress awaited us this morning to say she had received the website structure document, design layout and written copy that had been sent over for approval. The issues that needed addressing and additional material we had requested should be dealt with before the weekend is out.

Leaving the computers behind and taking off for the day, the timing of our return meant that I missed the second episode of Robin Hood. Damn. And blast. Instead I watched the third season premiere of Lost. Damn! The teaser alone, referencing the openings of both season one and season two, was completely inspired. Right after that, I went for the second episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Damn! redux.

Still can’t see the justification for giving it the critical mauling from certain quarters. If they’re giving it the stink eye for not being funny, I think they’re missing the point. After all, Studio 60 is a drama about a comedy show. Though really it’s a look behind the curtain at the making of a television show.

Choosing a comedy/variety show doesn’t mean that comedy has to always enter into it. Instead, choosing light entertainment over a more genre-specific drama to go behind the scenes of offers far wider-ranging subject matter to address and discuss.

If the performed sketches aren’t all that funny, then its nailed the likes of Saturday Night Live as far as I’m concerned. Along with most of the current sitcoms.

4 Comments:

At 6:35 pm, Blogger wcdixon said...

I absolutely agree on Studio 60 - I almost half listen when they perform a sketch because that's not the reason I'm watching the show...sort of like I'm not watching Friday Night Lights for the football...

A comedy show or high school football team is the arena for the show...its the drama behind the scenes thats 'the show'.

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger wcdixon said...

And you can see my Technorati problem if you click your 'Blogs that Link Here' button - I've linked you but don't show up on your list.

"shrug"

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Actually, when I checked out my Technorati blogs link, even before your post, I thought funny, no uninflected images juxtaposed, what's the story there?

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem soon.

 
At 4:57 am, Blogger wcdixon said...

..a small problem, in the grand scheme of things...lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home