Monday, October 15, 2007

From The Earth To The Doom

Work Buddy has been threatening to unleash doom upon me for the past few months. Not that he’s going to sneak up on me with a sledgehammer, while I sit blissfully unaware at the computer, and flatten my brainpan. Instead I mean the film of the computer game – a brilliant idea if ever there was one.

Friday evening I had headed up to see Work Buddy, to transfer one part of some very profitable work onto my external hard drive. The next morning, before we all scooted down to Heathrow to meet up with Canadian Caroline (who was on her way back from MIPCOM in Cannes and had an afternoon wait before her connection to Toronto) he took the DVD off the shelf and pushed it my way. I looked at the cover, figured what the hell.

To be fair I should point out that he picked up the shiny disc – an extended edition to the theatrical release, no less – because it was cheaper than a box of Special K cereal, or it came free with a box of Special K. Or it was the equivalent cost of a foam-filled grande bucket of mocha latte from a Starbucks.


I would have sat down to watch it yesterday, except I went into Central London and, trawling around the aisles of Virgin found, tucked away on the shelves, the new signature edition DVD boxset of HBO’s 12-part miniseries From the Earth to the Moon for a tenner. Given that we’ve just had the fiftieth anniversary of Sputnik’s launch, allowing numerous publications been discuss the Space Race, how far we’ve come and who far we have to go, it seemed the perfect purchase.

Doom will have to wait. When I get around to watching I’m sure you’ll be the first to know whether you want to or not.

5 Comments:

At 9:10 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

From the Earth to the Moon is gripping stuff in my opinion (got the US boxed set in shiny silver packaging).

As for "Doom", like you I have the DVD (and also, I think, a high definition version on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray - I forget which) but have never been able to work up the enthusiasm to watch them.

 
At 12:43 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

Doom is shit. Let’s not beat around the bush here. It’s purely worth watching if you’re in one of those moods for a film you can’t believe got financed, simply to guffaw at how utterly dire it all is.

GD, if you’re passing that way again, grab a copy of From Earth to the Moon for me, will ya?

Ian, I’m even more staggered that Doom made it to some kind of high-definition release. Truly. Wow...

 
At 11:35 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Will do, fella. I'm up to episode nine so far and it is just terrific.

Three more episodes and the bonus disc to go. After that.....

DOOM!!!!!

(In a perverse way, I'm kind of looking forward to it.)

 
At 11:39 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Fella, I hate to spoil the surprise, but your pal Mark Rolston plays Gus Grissom in it.

(The cast is, across the board, superb).

 
At 3:30 pm, Blogger Lucy V said...

GD:

Don't.


Do.


It.

There's no need for this. Think of your family.

Step away from the DOOM DVD.

I couldn't be saved, I was dragged into the showing by a slavering idiot who played the game as a child, the Odeon in Taunton still bears my fingernails' scraping along the walls and rings with my screams. But I. Can. Save. You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home