Monday, September 17, 2007

Weak End

Getting up every morning at five o’clock wasn’t the problem I thought it would be. Reminding myself the night before that I had to be up at five each morning was. Midweek I’d find myself still at the computer, catching the end of Newsnight before realising I should already be in bed.

An hour later, up here on the northern edge of London, the streets remained preternaturally quiet to what I was used to. In the cloudless sky, already tinged with the faintest pre-dawn light, Venus shone hard and bright above the horizon.

The early start was down to a training schedule for a new job. That, coupled with the influx of work from the pharmaceutical companies, means Work Buddy and I have the opportunity to – as he put it – "suck hard on their money cock" and make a relatively obscene amount of hard cash.

Just before taking on the work I turned down the offer to write for this new magazine. The people were nice but their word rate was startlingly pathetic – half what I was getting in the past. Until I’ve properly settled into the work, spare time is probably going to be a luxury. I’m already behind on two projects as it is. I want to write, uninspired magazine articles don’t factor into that equation.

Speaking on frittering away precious time, I spent two hours that I’ll never get back watching Sunshine. Maybe I missed something, but was that it?

13 Comments:

At 4:52 am, Blogger wcdixon said...

"suck hard on their money cock"

(spit take)

Translation? Wadds o' cash?

 
At 7:28 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Will, yep, a euphemism for grabbing every penny we can from them. And nothing else.

 
At 9:09 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

I did warn you that Sunshine was unutterable bilge. ;-)

Still, it could have been worse. I could have forced you to watch Karl Urban in Doom.

Or Karl Urban in most things he’s been in, really...

 
At 9:12 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

@Will: Yup, compared to “In the cloudless sky, already tinged with the faintest pre-dawn light, Venus shone hard and bright above the horizon” I'm falling far short of what might be termed lyrical, no? ;-)

Spare a thought for ol' GD - he has to suffer listening to this crap “live” as it spills out of my head.

 
At 9:40 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Fella, you keep saying you're going to force me to watch Doom but never do. Pah!

The thing with Sunshine was... oh, I really can't be bothered. Watching the original Solaris was bad enough - although thinking about it, I don't think I got to the end - but when you take something that boring and fist it with Event Horizon... It sure ain't pretty.

 
At 2:38 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

I’ve never forced you to watch Doom in the main because I’d like you to speak to me again before I die... ;-)

 
At 10:19 pm, Blogger potdoll said...

I've now removed Sunshine off my lovefilm remote list.

 
At 3:17 pm, Blogger Lucy V said...

I have watched DOOM. I lost a week from the shock of it.

 
At 6:12 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

It's truly mind-bogglingly bad, isn't it Lucy?

One of those films where you have to keep watching, with the phrase "Surely this can't get any worse.. Holy fuck! That was even more appalling than the last scene!" running through one's slowly-melting brain...

 
At 9:51 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

This makes me really want to watch Doom now.

 
At 10:18 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

It really is quite staggeringly dire...

 
At 3:04 pm, Blogger Lucy V said...

I was blotting out and it was working, I was in a safe cushion of denial... But now you bastards have opened the door and it's all come FLOODING BACK AND OH MY GOOD LORD IT'S THE MONSTERS AND THE OVERLONG FIRST ACT AND THE TELEPORTING AND THE FACT THAT NOTHING MAKES ANY FUCKING SENSE AT ALL...

*spontaneous combustion*

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger Jason Arnopp said...

I'm sorry to say I can't defend the cases of Sunshine or Doom in any way, shape or form.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home