Thursday, November 16, 2006

Deadline

Another gloomy day, wading deeper through debilitating diseases without cure. Welcome to my life.

I jest. Although if there is anything bugging me right now, it’s that I’m still waiting to hear on the deadline for this material. That would be good. Then I could go from being a procrastinator back to just being a prick.

Maybe there are times when I just like being told what to do and when to do it. Even if there’s an absurd finish date, I see it as a challenge; step up to the plate and do the best I can to hit it out the park whatever the adversity.

And, to ratchet the pressure up another notch or two, most of the time I like to finish ahead of schedule so there’s time to go back over it some and iron out any kinks. A while back we didn’t get around to a project until the day before the delivery date and it just made me ansty as fuck. If I could have physically gnawed my own head off to curb the frustrations I would have.

Back in the glorious animation days some of the deadlines I worked toward were real ball-busting bitches. The first major project, straight out of college, ended with ninety-hour weeks for the last couple of months. The last major project, before I ran screaming from the industry, timed out with eighty-hour works.

While I could do the time in my youth, on that last job I was struggling to keep all the balls in the air towards the end. Even so, I managed to composite the final scene and get it out the door two days before the due delivery date.

What it all comes down to is being able to thump my chest and say I’ve done right by my tribe, then grab a woman by the hair and drag her back to my cave.

2 Comments:

At 3:19 am, Blogger wcdixon said...

I much prefer the deadline and clear objective - however insane it may be. It forces you to think fast and make a decision and stick with it. Too much time means too many alternatives or 'what if's' - plus as they say: 'The work expands to fit the time allotted'.

 
At 9:22 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Just about my whole working life has been deadline driven. Without it I can be at a loss. More so, I actually miss it. And yeah, a stortened time limit means coming up with the decisions now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home