Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Story. Dilemma

What better to do on a miserable, overcast day than trawl through medical and neurological websites sourcing facts on incurable illnesses? Could it get any better?

And yet, bizarrely, a light bulb blinked on. In amongst all the doom and gloom, I figured out how to solve a plot point for a short film script that had been sticking in my craw these past weeks.

Strange, I know. Perhaps, even worrying. But then these things never come exactly when called. For the short, the idea boils down to: A man finds himself in a dilemma. Man tries to get out of dilemma. Hijinks ensue.

That said, I was never totally convinced by how he got into the dilemma in the first place. I knew why he was in a fix, but not how he got into the fix. And suddenly there it was.

To add icing on the cake, a new final line, delivered by a different character entirely, changes the whole slant of the story. Not a twist in the tail because... well, who needs that? It was all a dream! He was dead all along! And now I’m going to swallow my own tongue, thank you! But subtle sleight of hand, which gives a whole new meaning to the title.

How the idea came to me? Carrying a mug of coffee back to the computer to carry on investigating the body apocalypse, I glanced out the window and watched someone park their car. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the story whatsoever.

4 Comments:

At 7:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This happens to ME!

I also worry about sanity - and lack of it.

After all, what has Cow and Gate Fruity Porridge got to do with hardcore killing machine panther creatures?

I'll get back to you.

 
At 8:43 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Hey, don't knock Cow and Gate Fruity Porridge. A couple of bowls of that and I'm right off my head.

Never come across hardcore killing machine panther creatures though. My God, what has the rolling Devon countryside got you writing?

Are you sure you're not over exceeding the recommended daily dosage? ;-)

 
At 3:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've clearly never heard of The Exmoor Beast my friend. Call yourself Devonian! Panthers are to Devon are like smog to London. As if you didn't know...

 
At 5:14 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

You mean The Beast of Bodmin? I thought it was off holidaying with Nessie this time of year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home