Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Character Building

Writing the profiles for the three main characters of Project Five on The List, to precede the treatment. Physical description doesn’t matter. What interests me with character is working out where they stand on the fuckup-o-meter.

Failures and frailties are obviously a darn sight more interesting that achievement. Success doesn’t mean a damn unless there are personal odds to overcome. The conflicts they face internally are just as important as the physical manifestations they have to stand up to.

Knowing where the characters are likely to stumble, what support they are going to need from each other to keep standing tall, leads me into the treatment. Based on the few lines that encapsulate the story, the piece is practically writing itself. Which is good.

As the story spills out onto the page, I can already see the looks on their faces, every gesture they make, and hear the words coming from their mouths. (A second document is open on the screen to let me quickly type up dialogue before it disappears).

As it stands, Project Five still lacks a title. Because the story begins in Northern Italy, inspiration struck. The Inspiration Pixie farted in my general direction and I snatched Two Gentlemen and Veronica out of the vapours.

It’s amazing how quickly a self-inflicted crack on the back of the head with a baseball bat lets you see the error of your ways.

2 Comments:

At 9:34 pm, Blogger wcdixon said...

Forgive my density, Good Dog. Are you saying you like the title 'Two Gents and Veronica'?

 
At 10:52 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

As a joke, it amused me. Momentarily.

But switching immediately to decaf, if that title was on the page, I could see myself inflicting damage with a rusty egg whisk and a can of paraffin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home