Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Quid Pro Quo To Go

I’ve never been one of those guys that says “I’ll do something for you but only if you do something for me.” If someone needs help, I’ll help them out.

Back at art school I was always working on other peoples’ projects. It wasn’t like I wanted a gold star or a shiny medal for it, or expect anything in return. Some of the little loves, away from home for the first time and a little trembly at best, needed help and I’ll help them out because it seemed the decent thing to do.

College is one thing. You’re shielded; closeted. It doesn’t matter if you can’t walk and chew gum. Out in the real world it’s something very different. Suddenly everyone is “The Competition!” If people say they’ll help out they’ll only go so far, so that ultimately their effort, such that it is, is borderline useless or deeply detrimental.

If they’re working in more or less the same field, forget it. Maybe folk feel threatened, as if you’re going to take work from them; take food off their table. Ultimately it’s not fear but insecurity.

Much as I disliked the bullshit involved in working in animation, there was a certain camaraderie involved. With not that many studios in London producing high-end commercials, everyone pitched for more or less the same jobs. But if we were busy and a job came in that the producer didn’t think we could give our full attention, she suggested another studio for the agency to approach. And in return there were times when other studios put work our way. Sure, we were all in competition. But people looked out for eacch other.

While I’d like to take the moral high ground and still be ready to give someone a hand, I think I’ve reached the point where, for the time being, enough is enough. Anyone heads my way asking for a bucket of help and I’m going to tell them that the well is dry. Or, in plainer terms: “Tell your story walking!”

Because it seems that the ‘help’ I’ve had from people of late – I could have got more out of a four-year-old mong with special needs.

2 Comments:

At 9:53 pm, Blogger yasser said...

wait, so in the end you do help expecting something in return because if you dont then it shouldnt technically matter whether other people perceive everything as competition or not...

 
At 8:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home