Sunday, July 01, 2007

Gone For Good

Taking the day off, and not all that interested in Music To Remember Dead Blondes By, I sat down to watch The Departed. I had meant to see it in the cinema, like a lot of films in the past six or seven months.

I should go to the movies more often. People say it’s good for the shared experience, but there aren’t many people I want to share that experience with. Certainly not the great unwashed who spend their time scratching, yapping, and shoving food into their pie holes. And there’s always some twonk who hasn’t switched their bloody mobile off. So instead I wait for the shiny disc. And even then I don’t exactly rush to get my hands on it.

I’d been meaning to catch Infernal Affairs, which The Departed is based upon. Not I’m not too sure I can be that bothered. The two-and-a-half- hour running time certainly zipped by. But quite frankly the film felt a bit unsubstantial and rather inconsequential. There was an old B-movie feel to it, like something from the 1950s and 1960s where the stories got a lot meaner. This won the Academy Award for Best Picture? Interesting.

Anyway, before everyone ends up taking a round to the head – at one point they were toppling like dominoes – there was a beautiful little moment in the Beantown bar Nicholson’s Frank Costello frequented, just after Mr French – who certainly knew when it was time to make his exit – roughs Billy Costigan up to see whether he’s a Statie.

Costello asks one of the guys propping up the bar who his mother is. The news isn’t great and he tells him that she’s on the way out. Costello replies, “We all are, act accordingly.” Just beautiful.

4 Comments:

At 1:50 pm, Blogger English Dave said...

I thought Infernal Affairs much the better movie.

 
At 6:36 pm, Blogger Jaded and Cynical said...

Another reason not to rush to the cinema is that most movies aren't that good.

I've felt for a while that the best TV shows have blown past Hollywood in terms of quality.

Television may not have the budget, but it does take the time to develop characters and more thought goes into the scripts.

The number one movie in the States this week is Evan Almighty, with Steve Carell. But I'd much rather watch the latest series of The Office (US version) in which he plays the David Brent character, because I know it'll be funnier and more engaging.

And I'd rather watch The Sopranos than Ocean's Whatever. And Heroes rather than The Fantastic Four.

Of course, some movies are more than just empty-headed spectacle. The one with Tom Cruise playing Von Stauffenberg should be good. It is a comedy, isn't it?

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Well, I mean that's pretty much the best reason to stay away and stay put at home.

I'd prefer to watch US TV drama than their current films. Same goes for UK TV drama drama and the odd UK film that drags itself out of the abortionists metal bucket and lies on the ground trying to draw breath.

As for this Valkyrie film, it gets better. Eddie Izzard has been cast as Fellgiebel. Eddie Izzard gets to say, "Something awful has happened! The Führer lives!" It must be a comedy.

Crikey, I haven't spoilt the ending, have I?

 
At 8:27 pm, Blogger Jaded and Cynical said...

It's one of those under-appreciated moments in history that got buried a little after the war because it never really chimed with the whole evil Nazis narrative.

Now Hollywood's getting involved and all I can think of is Springtime For Hitler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home