Thursday, June 07, 2007

Between A Mister And A Mattress

Typically I missed Current Puns on BBC Radio 4 because, quite frankly, 11.30 in the morning was a particularly useless time for them to broadcast it. Luckily I caught up with it on the Radio 4 website this evening, and for anyone who likes this sort of wordplay – and if you don’t, what’s wrong with you? – I heartily recommend “tuning in”.

For a start it’s presented by Stephen Fry, who gets in a mention that one of his suggestions for definitions in the Uxbridge English Dictionary on Radio 4’s I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue was:

Countryside – To kill Piers Morgan

That deserves a round of applause and a hearty “Huzzah!” just in itself. Over thirty minutes, Fry traces the origins of puns and the different varieties. For anyone abroad who simply doesn’t get the English sense of humour, and in particular the appeal of Christmas cracker jokes, everything is explained within.

If you’re wondering about the title of the post, the question posed was:

What’s the definition of a Mistress? Something between a Mister and a mattress.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 pm, Blogger Lee said...

Ta for the reminder. The BBC radio player is one of the best things on the internet, I think.

 
At 11:14 am, Blogger Good Dog said...

Lee, absolutely. Unless a show is on Radio 4, midday Sunday, it always completely slips my mind. I need radio player to catch up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home