Friday, December 22, 2006

Really Magic Realism

Are you stuck for a last minute present?

Have you read the previous blog entry and are trying to figure out which titles would top the list of films classed as culturally relevant to Britain?

Find the answer to both these worries in the films by the celebrated partnership of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger.


On DVD from The Criterion Collection, the films come with audio commentaries - some featuring Michael Powell and Martin Scorsese - along with a variety of behind-the-scenes documentaries and galleries of rare publicity and production stills.

Also available is Powell’s extraordinarily daring Peeping Tom, made after the partnership was dissolved. Coming in February is a new high-definition digital transfer of their wartime thriller 49th Parallel.

Buy one for a friend. Realise they don't deserve it. Keep it for yourself. Get them a book token instead.

7 Comments:

At 9:36 pm, Blogger Sal said...

ooooh I spotted reviews of this and I WANT it!!! Thanks for your good wishes, I'm possibly the snottiest person in the world right now. Hope you have a great Christmas and all the best for 2007 - perhaps we'll get the pint together that I think we agreed to have some time ago!

 
At 10:44 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Sal,

Blimey, you're right. I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, sometime next year we should have that drink. But without the snot. Take care.

 
At 5:32 am, Blogger wcdixon said...

Happy holidays kind sir...enjoy the days and be well and all that. It's been fun.

 
At 11:51 am, Blogger Lianne said...

Oooh, I want those DVD's too. I don't expect they'll turn up in my xmas stocking though. Sigh.

Hope you have a lovely holiday!

 
At 12:24 pm, Blogger Lee said...

Fantastic set of films. I'm also tempted by the Ealing set, despite the lack of extras.

Merry Christmas, Good Dog!

 
At 12:31 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Should point out that The Criterion Collection sells each film separately. The transfers are great and they have nice extras.

In the UK ITV DVD have just released an 11-disc set. Extras are minimal, and I don't know what the transfers are like, but the set does includes A Matter of Life and Death, which is divine.

 
At 11:54 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

Ah, A Matter Of Life And Death. One of my favourite films of all time. I think I saw it first when I was about ten or so, and was completely captured by the whole "heaven in monochrome and Earth in colour" device.
David Niven at his finest, Kim Hunter looking absolutely divine and a wonderful performance from the incomparable Roger Livesey.

Superb!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home