Wednesday, September 01, 2010

More Of What You Fancy

Tagged a month ago by Stephen Gallagher, who provided his own list here, the object of this particular exercise is to list the films that I’ll watch any number of times. In a way it was lucky I’ve had the time to mull over this particular challenge.

This isn’t a list of the films I consider to be the greatest ever made, especially since I could probably reel off a number of celebrated movies that I wasn’t keen on seeing all the way through the first time and would be happy to never see again. So while some of the titles may not be award winners, overflowing with artistic merit, I do know that if I was at a loose end or bored one rainy weekend afternoon or late evening, any one of these movies could be loaded into the DVD player and I’d be more than happy to watch them from beginning to end, and that’s what counts.

I’m sure there are many more titles I could have included, but given their lack of availability on shiny disc or their absence from television schedules they don’t make the list. Trying to narrow it down to an even dozen to begin with, then two dozen when that didn’t exactly work out, by the time I stopped there were 30 titles (or rather 31 for anyone who knows the movies), which means there are enough to happily keep me going for a month. In alphabetical order, they are:
































These are the rules of the meme:

01. Provide a non-exhaustive list of films you’ll happily watch again and again.
02. There is no rule 02. (cute)
03. Reprint the rules.
04. Tag three others and ask them to do the same.

So the three lucky people charged with carrying this forward are Brian Sibley, David Weeks and Will Dixon. Enjoy!

3 Comments:

At 1:14 am, Blogger Brian Sibley said...

Good list. Smart move to make it into a picture-puzzle, too! I suspect my list will considerably shorter and rather less interesting – unless you are a rabid Disney fan! But we shall see... :)

 
At 10:27 am, Blogger Stephen Gallagher said...

I have to confess that I cheated on the puzzle aspect... any shots I didn't instantly recognise, I ran my cursor over the pic and read the filename that appeared in the bar at the bottom of the window!

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Brian,

I started just listing them but when it turned out I’d have to differentiate between originals and various remakes I went for the photo option instead.

Having had more time than usual to think about the list, I was surprised by the titles I ended up with, especially since to begin with I expected there to be a lot more older “classic” movies, including more animation. But then I went through my DVD collection and thought about which movies I could (and would) watch regularly and not get bored seeing them. It also made me think about a lot of older movies that I wish were available on disc, as well as look at some of the films on the shelves here and wonder what possessed me to buy a copy in the first place.


Stephen,

Ah, crafty. I suspect the really tricky one was Always. This was interesting to do because pretty much all the titles that I initially scribbled down, off the top of my head, didn’t make the list when I began to put more thought into it.

I started with Hitchcock, Lean, Leone, Wilder, Sturges, Kubrick, Fincher, Michael Mann and Ridley Scott, Soderbergh, Hawks and John Ford, the Coen Brothers, Basil Rathbone’s Holmes, Ealing and Boulting Brothers comedies, Laurel and Hardy, Pixar and the James Bond series (omitting the last four Roger Moore films), then immediately deleted the films I hadn’t seen for a couple of years, then a year. I was surprised there weren’t more comedies, but then there’s got to be more than just a succession of gags for me otherwise it gets stale really fast and I still marvel at people who can watch This is Spinal Tap or any film starring Will Ferrell or Ben Stiller more than once.

Apart from the few epics, I guess there is a type of film I go back to again and again, which is the caper movie, none of which are on screen long enough to outstay their welcome. And I suppose the titles that just didn’t make the list were the trilogy of Jason Bourne films, The English Patient and Hellboy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home