Monday, May 09, 2011

When All Is Said And Done

So that’s that. “Say what you’re gonna say or prepare for eternal fucking silence,” declared Al Swearengen, and I think I’ve pretty much said all there is to say, at least for the time being. I’ve been posting for a couple months shy of five years now and that’s a decent enough run. Most times it has been fun, although there have been occasions where I’ve slipped up and written some quite thoughtless remarks, which I sincerely regret.

Unlike many ex–bloggers I’m not quitting simply to concentrate on facebook or twitter. Although I have a presence on the former I pretty much gave up on that over a month back and not before time. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not enamoured being amongst big crowds of people I don’t really know, trading idle remarks either in person or as part of a digital gathering, preferring instead to trade more substantial messages with actual friends online when there isn’t the opportunity to sit and have a conversation in person, in the same way that I now only comment – and will continue to comment on occasion – on particular blogs.

I suppose there are reasons for knocking it all on the head now but I can’t say that I particularly want to share them. So instead I guess I’ll end with a song. I was thinking of something from Elsie Carlisle or Jack Hylton and His Orchestra, but in the end I think this will suffice...

8 Comments:

At 12:08 pm, Blogger Stephen Gallagher said...

Stay in touch, bro - it's been too interesting to let the conversation fizzle now.

 
At 12:33 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I've really enjoyed reading some intelligent writing over the last few years, and will miss the blog popping up in my RSS feed reader every now and then, but can understand where you're coming from.


Good luck for the future.

 
At 1:07 am, Blogger Good Dog said...

Stephen,

I’ll still be about commenting but not instigating, so the conversation will definitely continue. It has certainly been one of the highlights of this whole process.

Ian,

Well thanks for that. I’ve certainly enjoyed reading your take on things as well. There are some serious changes going on, coupled with the fallout of a terrible mistake I’ve made so it seemed an idea just to quit it now and focus on the other things.

Good luck to the pair of you, too.

Paul

 
At 8:52 am, Blogger Brian Sibley said...

Thanks for "blowing your thought wad" for us (or at us) for five years. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to read your thoughts, opinions –– and, on occasion (God love you!), splendidly ranted rants!!

Glad you're still going to be around and your blog is staying on my blog's blog-list in the hope that, from time to time, others will stumble on your almost-five-years of well-crafted posts.

 
At 8:57 am, Blogger Brian Sibley said...

PS: Thanks, too, for the Jack Payne number and I hope YOU have lots of lovely tomorrows!

 
At 1:33 am, Blogger potdoll said...

bye bye Good Dog. I loved the blog old days. xxx

 
At 6:51 am, Blogger Eleanor said...

But where else will I read such wonderful and educational posts, especially the rants!
I will miss your opinions.

Good luck with whatever comes next.

 
At 3:34 pm, Blogger qrter said...

Sad to see you stop, really enjoyed reading your thoughts and the discussions that followed in the comments sections.

I guess we'll always have comments sections..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home