Saturday, November 08, 2008

D

Unluckily today I missed the tiny window of opportunity between when it was raining and when it was raining again to step out and grab the newspaper. What had kept me indoors during those few precious moments when I should have been out was flicking through tabloid and broadsheet websites, chuckling at the hollow rhetoric used to get the proles in a real lather.

Though I had already clicked through The Times’ site, I needed that weekly Samurai Su Doku fix, and a fresh pack of smokes, and the few bits and pieces I forgot to pick up bumbling around the supermarket aisles, and a birthday card for my uncle. So with all that piling up and the rain chucking it down, I tramped home sodden, grumbling and growling under my breath.

I was all ready to sound off about something that probably didn’t deserve it when I noticed that I’d reached my 500th post. Have I been blathering on for so long? I have to say that this all started off pretty much because of a random suggestion. Although, looking back, it might have been a carefully orchestrated plan by Mister Mark so I’d have somewhere to sound off rather than barracking about some issue or other when we should have our heads down working.

So for almost the past thirty months I’ve done that. Sometimes the posts have been jovial and sometimes they’ve been spawned from indignant rage. Other times they’ve been stitched together by the mischievous imp inside me that just wants to see how many people it can wind up. Every time I’ve spanked the PUBLISH POST button, whether it’s been to deliver fun or fury, hopefully there have been informed opinions involved rather than simply adding to the rank, mindless drivel sloshing around the internet.

Anyway, there we go. I only mention all this because there have been times during the last few months when I’ve felt like jacking it in, where my mind has been blank or I haven’t simply felt like writing anything. Then again, a lot of that may be down to side effects from the tablets the GP has currently got me taking. Whether it means that when I come off them words will just spew out, we’ll see.

In the meantime I guess there are still a few things to discuss, like how much I don’t give a shit who the new Doctor Who will be or... well, other things that are of equal unimportance. I guess we’ll have to see.

9 Comments:

At 10:16 pm, Blogger Clair said...

You know me and my emotional bloggy ups and downs. I'd say, don't pack it in; just realise that you don't HAVE to write if you don't feel like it...

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger Lara said...

Happy 500th Post Day, GD! xx

 
At 9:39 am, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

Knowing me as you do, when have I ever managed to even formulate a “well-orchestrated plan”, let alone actually execute one? ;-)

Whether or not your mood has been improved or exacerbated by posting, the content is regularly at least head and shoulders above most drivel on the interweb, old son.

Full disclosure: apart from enjoying his writing, I’d say GD has to be one of the people I hold in highest regard as a friend on the planet. So, yup, I’m biased. Bite me... ;-)

If you’ve nothing to write, don’t write for a while. Lara has great big gaps in her posting, so do I, so does the Doll on occasion. If you fancy giving it a rest, do so. Plenty more things to go and do to recharge one’s batteries, eh?

Now, about that Sci-Fi season up at Dysfunction Towers. There’ll be fizzy pop and cakes...

 
At 10:31 am, Blogger Lara said...

Errr, do you mind? My gaps aren't anywhere as big as yours, Sir Walker...I clearly have far more driven to drip feed the masses. ;)

(p.s. GD - although it pains me to agree - if you don't want to write...don't! x)

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

@Lara: I’m only repeating what you told me! ;-)

 
At 12:14 pm, Blogger Lara said...

@ Riddley - only puling yer plonker! ;) x

 
At 12:14 pm, Blogger Lara said...

*pulling* even...

 
At 6:42 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Oh, what have I gone and said?

You see, this is what happens when you don’t pay proper attention to putting words in the right order. This should be a lesson to... well, someone.

Thanks for all the support and cheers. The point of the post was simply meant to be, “Wee-hee five hundred posts!” And then I stuck in those rather badly written final two paragraphs and tipped it all on its arse. (So, no change there).

So far, I think the bating average has been 16 posts a months, which I guess isn’t that bad. What’s annoying the hell out of me at the moment is that one side effect of this current prescription is short-term memory loss, which can be quite a distraction. I’ll be jotting down a few notes for a post or checking odd details and the brain has a momentary white out. And that bugs the absolute fuck out of me.

On top of that there’s Little Dorrit on BBC1. Three years ago I was absolutely knocked out by Bleak House but this new Dickens adaptation is an utterly spectacular piece of television. How can you get annoyed by anything with Little Dorrit currently on the box?

Fella, what about the “well-orchestrated plan” to take over the world by unleashing the vile bile creature from Planet Zog? ...Oh, wait a sec, that didn’t work out did it? ...shit! Oh, well. Still, when there’s fizzy pop and cakes to make up for it, that’s not bad.

While you pair keep pulling at each other, how come everyone lives in Towers? I’m stuck here in my kennel... without an en suite! Having to go out into the garden with all this foul weather is playing merry hell with my morning toilet.

 
At 7:15 pm, Blogger Lara said...

GD - I shall start again...Happy 500th Post Day from all at Tenacious Towers. And yes, 'Dorrit' is quite splendid. Big hugs honey. xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home