Friday, June 27, 2008

444 For 2

Another year gone already, which means that today the Thought Wad is two whole years old. Who’d have thought I could’ve sustained this ongoing yap?


It’s been a strange old year, what with one thing and another. There’s an important line Anthony Hopkins delivers in Oliver Stone’s Nixon:

“Only when you've been in the deepest valley, can you ever know how magnificent it is on top of the highest mountain.”

I suppose the past twelve months have been spent in the region in between. Typically times have been good and bad, even happy and sad, but that’s the way it always goes I guess. I may have lost my grip a couple of times, and slid a little way back down, but luckily I’ve always found something to make me smile as I hold on.

One funny thing has been seeing Thought Wad added to blog rolls and then quietly removed sometime later. Apparently an informed opinion isn’t always what folk like if it counters their beliefs, but a long time back I realised it’s much better to be honest than popular.

So I guess I’ll just keep on going and see where the next year takes me. If you want to come along for the ride, you’d be most welcome.

11 Comments:

At 1:48 pm, Blogger potdoll said...

Happy Big Two Birthday Thought Wad!

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger Jon said...

Congratulations on clocking up two years...

“Only when you've been in the deepest valley, can you ever know how magnificent it is on top of the highest mountain.”

Don't know Stone's Nixon but that's a great line!

 
At 6:16 pm, Blogger Lee said...

June 27th, a most auspicious day. You'll always be welcome to roll with me, big fella, even if we do occasionally disagree.

Like the man said, "you want to play with the big dogs, you got to learn to pee in the long grass."

Whatever that means.

And your present's in the post.

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger Jason Arnopp said...

Happy blogday, Mr Dog!

I disagree with 99% of the things you say, and I still have no idea why you devote so much time and effort to slagging Doctor Who and its fans, but by God I'd fight to the death to protect your right to play Evil Stepfather in the blogosphere's grand pantomime.

Well, I say fight to the death. Maybe a bit of a skirmish.

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger Jaded and Cynical said...

You're one of the reasons I don't buy newspapers anymore.

Thanks for the free show.

And I love the idea of people posting a link, then quietly taking it down.

 
At 7:02 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Many happy returns.

I enjoy my regular fix of "BMTW".

Keep up the good work.

God, this sounds patronising. I'd better stop. Now!

 
At 7:41 pm, Blogger wcdixon said...

Time flies, huh...congrats!

And who knows what the deal is with the blogroll thingee...mine refuses to go up, even though I've found Uninflected on over 50 sidebars, 'shrug'. But it's not about the numbers, right? (well maybe a little....bastards!)

 
At 8:10 am, Blogger Brian Sibley said...

Belated Greetings! Your blog is still on my blogroll and I promise if and when it ever does go it will certainly not go QUIETLY!!

Keep blowing those thought wads...

PS: Good 'dog' by the way - and neat tiara, too!

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger English Dave said...

2 not out. Nice one GD. I'm going to do the music meme when I have 7 songs I listen to.

 
At 7:43 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Thanks one and all.

Dolly, have some virtual cake before the real cake arrives.

Jon, personally I think Nixon is Stone’s second finest film, after JFK. Anthony Hopkins gives an absolutely blinding performance.

Blimey, it doesn’t seem that long ago that, at the NFT, I saw a preview of Salvador followed by Stone interviewed on stage. The interviewer asked what his next project was and Stone mentioned the Vietnam movie he was finishing up.

Lee, it arrived, thanks. So, quess where my day went?

Mr A, once this series is done, I’ll put all my reasons into one post. Anything to avoid a skirmish.

Cheers, J&C and Ian.

Will, I think it’s kind of scary just how quickly time flies.

Brian, glad you like the picture. The alternative was of a bloated bulldog that, scarily, looked a little too much like me for comfort.

ED, fella, do the music when you’ve got the time.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger Clair said...

Happy birthday - welcome to the Terrible Twos! Looking forward to lots of tantrums, and this blog throwing itself on the floor in shops and having a strop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home