Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Take Five

Usually this time of year there’s always something going around that has everyone coughing and spluttering and looking down in the dumps. Luckily, in this instance, what's come around isn't that harmful at all.

Brian Sibley, having been blog-tagged to pony up five things about himself that nobody – or at least most people – don’t know about him, then had to tag five more people to keep it going. Having been named, I’ve been debating whether to reveal any dirty little doggy secrets that might shame me, or come up with a list that is more fun – and probably more palatable for the more gentle readers of this blog.

I suppose I could mention that years ago, while travelling around American on the Greyhound bus during a bus strike, a number of replacement drivers new to the routes relied on me to give them directions in cities I had never been in before. Maybe it was the English accent. It was fun, but really not that interesting.

So, how about the time I was chased my security guards in Chicago? But then that wasn't as exciting as it sounds either. They guys didn’t even draw their guns, and everything was cleared up even before the tubby one could get his breath back.

Anyway, I think these might help reveal a little something about me.

I sang vocals on Smile, Darn Ya, Smile, for the finale of Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Only the lead animators were supposed to participate in the recording, prior to the UK animation wrap party, but I had gotten to know one of the producers very well and he hustled me into the room. I signed the waiver, was given a lovely and shiny one pound coin for my efforts and sang in the “cartoony style” of a pooch that had just had his knackers removed.

I still have the lyric sheet. So, altogether now...

Smile, darn ya, smile
you know this old world
is a great world after all.

Smile, darn ya, smile
and right away watch lady luck
pay you a call.

Things are never black
as they are painted.
Time for you and joy
to get aquainted.

Make life worthwhile
come on and
smile, darn ya, smile.

Doesn’t that make you feel better? Well, suit yourself.

The one major regret in my life

They always say look forward not back but occasionally I can’t help glancing over my shoulder into the past. Years back a girlfriend broke up with me. Younger than me, and getting stressed out with the end of her degree fast approaching; she couldn’t factor in a relationship. So that was that.

I started working long hours to fill the void. Coming home one Sunday evening, the phone was ringing. On the other end of the line she told me she’d made a big mistake and would I come over. Exhausted, I said no. Where would a yes have taken me? Almost twenty years down the road I still stop and wonder.

After that I think we deserve another verse:

Life is really only what
you make it.
Stand right up and show
that you can take it.

Make life worthwhile
come on and
smile, darn ya, smile.

Yeah, that’s better.

Of course the telephone also factored into the time the secretary from a studio came around for dinner. Bored with her hubbie, she asked me if I wanted to handcuff her to the bed, just as the telephone started ringing. Being an absolute doofus I actually went and answered it. Can you believe it? Now I let the machine pick up every time.

I was invited to take part in a croquet tournament held in the garden court of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Hollyhock House (Barnsdall Park, 4800 Hollywood Blvd)

Unfortunately I was scheduled to be up the coast in Seattle at the time so no roquets or pegging out for me that day.

Revealing something that didn’t happen, wow, that’s really interesting. But then if I mention things that I did participate in, you get this...

In the 1980s I appeared in a pop video

Unfortunately it was for Russ Abbott’s Atmosphere. And yes, I am hanging my head in shame as I write this. I was young and foolish, and it meant I had a day off from The Esteemed School of Art along with most of the other first year students. The tutors were pissed that we had legged it, but we got to fanny about in the background and raid the bar of the nightclub it was shot in – which was a whole lot better than the scheduled typography lessons. Two months in the UK Top 20, every time that bloody song appeared on Top of the Pops we seriously got the piss taken out of us. Ah, we deserved it.

And lastly

I've discovered the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

At least I think I have. Recently turned 42, and getting a different perspective on things from doing this fill-in work, I think I’ve finally figured it all out. Maybe sometime when I can fully articulate it, I’ll put it in a post.

So there you go. Dolly, I’m sorry there probably wasn’t enough sleaze to satisfy you, but that’ll have to be another day.

Carrying out Brian’s final instructions, the five I now nominate to fess up are: Lucy, Lianne, Potdoll, Sal, and Lee.

5 Comments:

At 11:35 pm, Blogger wcdixon said...

Intriguing AND entertaining...that old girlfriend made the mistake, not you.

 
At 12:59 am, Blogger potdoll said...

"Oh what an atmosphere. I love a party with a lot of atmosphere."

SHAME ON YOU. I LOVE IT!!!


I'm going to fill a complaint form in about your lack of sleaze.

 
At 3:05 pm, Blogger Lee said...

I'm compiling my list right now, and if you want sleaze, Potdoll, I'll give you sleaze.

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger Good Dog said...

Will, thanks for saying that. There's always the "what might have been", but damn, the past twenty years have had their moments. A lot of work, a lot of fun, and a lot of things that I wouldn't have done if I was still in the relationship.

Dolly girl, please don't start quoting the lyrics. I've only just got the darned Rabbit song out of my head.

Lee, lots of sleaze pleaze!

 
At 3:12 pm, Blogger Sal said...

done it - bit slow, sorry. Dead boring too, I'm afraid. I've never sung on a film or a pop video (this is a good thing, honestly)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home